What Mac Apps Work with Hook?
This document lists some of the apps that we, or other Hook users, have tested so far with Hook. A checkmark (√) indicates that Hook behaved as we expected with the app. There are likely many other apps that work out of the box with Hook. If you know your favorite app works but is not listed here, we would appreciate it if you would let us know via the Hook productivity forum or email (email@example.com).
If your favorite app is not yet supported, here is what you can do. In sum, in many cases it is possible to add scripts in Hook’s Script Editor to make the app work with Hook. But if the app is not sufficiently scriptable, you may wish to contact the developer, as described here, to request they make their app scriptable (or support the appropriate x-callback-url’s.)
Many apps are discussed on the Hook productivity forum.
We update this document regularly. Many other apps are likely compatible but have not yet been tested by us.
- Brave: √
- Chrome: √
- Firefox: √ (Currently, in English only)
- Opera: √
- Safari: √
- AirMail: √
- Mail: √
- MailMate: √
- Outlook: √ (However, hook://outlook email links are not shareable due to limitations of Outlook ).
- Postbox: √
- Spark: No (this email client by Readdle lacks automation)
Office apps (writing, spreadsheets, presentations)
- Contacts: √
- BusyContacts: √ (Currently, in English only)
- Mellel: √
- Nisus writer: √
- Pages: √
- Keynote: √
- Numbers: √
- BusyCal: √ (Currently, in English only)
- Calendar: Partial (“link to new> Calendar” is not available)
- Microsoft Excel: √
- Microsoft Powerpoint: √
- Microsoft Word: √
- Agenda app: √
- Scrivener: √
- Fantastical (Calendar app): Partial: Hook can link to dates but not events.
Integration with Microsoft Office requires Office 2016.
- Adobe Reader: √
- Highlights: √
- PDFPen Pro: √
- Preview : √
- Skim: √
PDF Expert: it lacks automation, however you can use this script.
- Bookreader: √
- Books app: not yet
- Kindle: not yet.
- OmniFocus: √
- Things: √
- Task Paper: √
- TaskPaper 3: √ (Linking to entire documents, as opposed to task filters; however see this topic discussing a user-contributed script for finer-grained linking)
- Reminders: NO.
- OmniOutliner: √
- Outlinely: √
Finder utilities, extensions and cloud storage
- Dropbox (Finder extension): √ (Consider these Dropbox idiosyncracies).
- Finder: √
- OneDrive: Mostly (minus a current issue with Microsoft Word)
- Google Drive: √ (you can link Google Drive files in Finder).
- HoudahSpot 5: √
- Path Finder: √
- Forklift: √ (Currently, in English only)
- EagleFiler: √
- EverNote: √
- DEVONthink Office Pro: √ ( “Link to New” cannot yet create an item in DEVONthink binary database, but can to an index folder. “Link to New” from DEVONthink is fully functional.)
- Tinderbox: (Not yet))
- Yojimbo: √
Graphic editors, graphic organizers and mind mapping
- Adobe Illustrator: √
- Curio: √
- InDesign: √ with single document. Its book documents and library are not yet compatible with Hook.
- iThoughts X: √
- MindNode: √ (to entire documents)
- OmniGraffle Pro: √
- OmniGraffle: √
- Photoshop: √
- Sketch: √
- StorySpace: √
- Base 2 (by Menial) : √
- DB Browser for SQLite: √
- Quiver: √ (a note-taking app for developers).
- Script Debugger: √
- Visual Code Studio: √
- Xcode: √
Text editors, note-taking apps, and writing utilities
- BBEdit: √
- Bear: √ (Currently, in English only)
- Camtasia 3: √
- Coda 2: √
- CodeRunner: √
- Drafts: √ (per Forum post).
- FSNotes: √ (Currently, in English only)
- LightPaper: √
- MacVim: √
- Marked2: √
- Notes (Apple) : √ (Currently, in English only)
- MultiMarkdown Composer: √
- Notebooks 2: √ (Not integated with the menu bar window).
- nvALT: √ (Currently, in English only; without “Link to New”)
- nvUltra: √
- SimpleNote: NO (has no AppleScript library nor x-callback-url)
- Sublime Text: √
- TextEdit: √
- Textastic : √
- TextMate: √
- The Archive: √
- Typora: √
- UltraEdit: √
- ReadKit: √ (Currently, in English only)
- Reeder: No (lacks automation)
Newsreaders are not designed to open URLs. The reciprocal http(s) link back to the copied address will be opened in the default application (typically a web browser)
Media players, Audio-video editors
- QuickTime Player: √
- ScreenFlow: √
- Spotify: √ (capture a link to the track which is current playing (rather than simply selected in the user interface)).
Reference management software
- Papers (Readcube, formerly Mekentosj): √
- Bookends: √
- Mendeley: No (lacks automation)
- Zotero: (no scripting interface. Also, they’ve turned down requests to add Applescript support while they rewrite Zotero for the next version. It might be possible with a plugin, however).
- Mathematica: √
macOS Utilities (misc)
Language and Internationalization
The Hook display language is currently only English. Some apps cannot yet be controlled by Hook if the macOS display language is not English. We intend to support other languages.
The definition of “compatibility” is different for certain applications. For instance, apps like browsers are read-only, so they don’t require a “scripting interface” for creating new objects. News readers and some information managers work differently. News readers return an address (http//: or https://). When accessing web addresses, typically macOS invokes a web browser.