Linkable Mac Apps
This document lists apps that we know can be used with Hook, meaning that you can link their items together with Hook. The data are the result of our testing and/or Hook customers’. (See also : What’s a Linkable App and Why Does Linkability Matter? – Hook).
- √👍 : The app has reliable automation for linking which is used by Hook. Those apps are the best apps to use with Hook. Linking should work regardless of the language of the app.
- √🤔 : The app does not have an adequate API for linking (possibly no API). However, Hook can currently link with it via “UI scripting” (user interface scripting). However, UI scripting is not as reliable as an API. Also, unless noted below Hook can only control the app in English, but supporting another language for a particular app just requires tweaking a script.
- ✋ : The app cannot currently be linked due to its lack of an API or its user interface.
See definitions below.
There are likely many other apps that work out of the box with Hook that are not mentioned here. We frequently discover new ones. If you know your favorite app works but is not listed here, please let us know via the Hook productivity forum or email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Brave: √👍
- Chrome: √👍
- Microsoft Edge √👍
- Firefox: √🤔 (English only)
- Opera: √👍
- Safari: √👍
- Scrivener: √🤔 (Supports deep-linking to particular documents in Scrivener’s binder. Uses Scrivener’s
x-scrivener-item:URLs rather than
- AirMail: √👍
- Apple Mail: √👍
- MailMate: √👍
- Postbox √👍. Per forum: √
Slack: √🤔 (links to/from current Slack or DM channel. To link to a particular Slack message, get its URL directly from Slack per forum.)
Microsoft Outlook: 🤔 (In Outlook, Hook relies on Outlook email IDs because Outlook does not provide a way to access emails by RFC-compliant email IDs. Archiving Outlook Exchange emails, or other events [à la Microsoft] may change the IDs.
hook://outlookemail URLs are not shareable or usable across different Macs).
Spark by Readdle ✋: (Lacks automation).
- Hey email app : TBD.
Other office apps (spreadsheets, presentations)
- Apple Contacts: √👍
- JeditΩ : √👍 per forum.
- Apple Keynote: √👍
- LibreOffice (Calc, Writer, Impress, Draw, ) : √👍
- Microsoft Excel: √👍
- Microsoft Powerpoint: √👍
- Apple Numbers: √👍
BusyContacts: √🤔 (Currently, in English only)
Integration with Microsoft Office requires Office 2016 or Office 365. Hook is not necessarily qualified for Microsoft “Insider Fast Builds”, which are pre-general release builds. Microsoft says those builds are “Best for Insiders who […] don’t mind the bit of risk involved in using unsupported builds.”
- Adobe Reader: √👍
- Highlights: √👍
- PDFPen Pro: √👍
- Preview : √👍
- Skim PDF reader: √👍
Task managers, Calendar apps, and Date-Focused note-taking apps
- NotePlan 2: √👍
- OmniFocus by OmniGroup: √👍
- OmniPlan by OmniGroup: √👍 . (For deep linking to specific content in OmniPlan, see this.)
- Things by Cultured Code: √👍 (but not to areas).
- TaskPaper 3: √ (Linking to entire documents, as opposed to task filters; however see this topic discussing a user-contributed script for finer-grained linking)
Agenda app: √🤔 (This lacks automation. NotePlan 2 is a comparable product that does have automation.)
- BusyCal: √🤔 (Currently, in English only). For
Hook to New, see this post.
- Fantastical (Calendar app): √🤔 (Hook can link to its dates but not events due to the Fantastical UI.)
- GoodTask – Task Manager with iOS/Mac Reminders & Calendars √🤔
Todoist 🤔: In the Todoist app, the Hook contextual window will not show you any linkable items. Todoist app has a
Copy Link to Tasktucked away deep in its UI. (They should call it “Copy URL”, because it’s not a full link.) You can paste Hook-garnered links (
Hook to Copied Link) into Todoist app tasks. And you can get Todoist URLs from the Todoist web app (SaaS.) I.e., Hook seems to work well with Todoist web app. (See Todoist Integration – Hook Productivity Forum)
- Apple Calendar: √ Partial (“Hook to New> Calendar” is not available)
- Apple Reminders: ✋
Finder utilities, extensions and cloud storage
- Dropbox (Finder extension): √👍 (Consider these Dropbox idiosyncracies).
- Finder: √👍
- HoudahSpot 5: √👍
- Path Finder: √👍
- Trickster: √👍 (per forum).
Forklift: √🤔 (Currently, in English only)
OneDrive: Mostly (requires that
One Drive > Office> Use Office applications to sync Office files that I openis off, per forum).
- EagleFiler by C-Command-Software : √👍 (See Using Hook with EagleFiler)
- Evernote pre version 10: √👍 . Version 10 lacks linking automation: ✋
- DEVONthink 2 Office Pro: √👍 (with these customizations for Pro users).
- DEVONthink 3: √👍 (See this webpage).
- Keep It (by Reinvented Software): √👍
- Yojimbo: √👍
Diagramming, graphic organizers and mind mapping
- Adobe Illustrator: √👍
- Curio: √👍. Hook can make deep links within Curio documents. (Curio 13 links are to entire documents only.) See forum.
- Diagrams: A Brand New Diagram Editor for Mac.√👍
- iThoughts X: √👍
- MindNode: √👍 (to entire documents)
- OmniGraffle Pro: √👍
- LibreOffice Draw – Based on OpenOffice
- Adobe Photoshop: √👍
- Sketch: √👍
- StorySpace: √👍
- Adobe InDesign: √👍 (with a single document. Its book documents and library are not yet compatible with Hook.)
Development and automation tools
- Base 2 (by Menial) : √👍
- DB Browser for SQLite: √👍
- iTerm2 – macOS Terminal Replacement √👍 (see this Hook forum post )
- Ninox Database: (per input from a customer).
- Quiver: √ (a note-taking app for developers).
- Script Debugger: √👍
- Visual Code Studio: √👍
- Xcode: √👍
Word processors, text editors, note-taking apps and writing utilities
- BBEdit: √👍
- Camtasia 3: √👍
- Coda 2: √👍
- CodeRunner: √👍
- iA Writer: √👍 (uses hook://file URL scheme, not ia-writer:// due to its lack of automation)
- Inkdrop: √👍 with this plugin
- iTextPro: √👍 (per forum post)
- LightPaper: √👍
- MacVim: √👍
- MacJournal: √👍
- Marked2: √👍
- MultiMarkdown Composer: √👍
- Notebooks 2: √👍 (Not integated with the menu bar window).
- Mellel: √👍 (just be sure the Palletes window is not open when you invoke Hook in Mellel. Or invoke Hook via the menu bar window’s “Show Hook” button)
- Microsoft Word: √👍
- Nisus Writer and Nisus Writer Pro √👍: (forum):
- nvALT: √👍 (Currently, in English only; without “Hook to New”)
- nvUltra: √👍 . Integration notes.
- Pages: √👍
- Sublime Text: √👍
- TextEdit: √👍
- Textastic : √👍
- TextMate: √👍
- Tinderbox: √👍
- Typora: √👍
- UltraEdit: √👍
- VNote: √👍
- Voodoopad note-taking app by Primate Labs: √👍. See forum
Bear writer: √🤔 (English and German)
- Drafts: √🤔 (per Forum post).
- FSNotes: √🤔
- The Archive: √🤔
- Ulysses: √🤔 (Your mileage may vary. Please contact the app’s developer requesting they support minimal AppleScript if you really want to use it. See this post.).
Day One. This app lacks an API. However, an approach to controlling it via Keyboard Maestro has been proposed by a contributor on the Hook forum. 🤔 … Requires Keyboard Maestro.
- Notability by Gingerlabs: ✋ no automation. (Ask them automated linking support if you want to link Notability notes.)
- SimpleNote: ✋ (has no AppleScript library nor x-callback-url)
- ReadKit: √🤔
Reeder: ✋ (lacks automation)
News readers are not designed to open URLs. The reciprocal http(s) link back to the copied address will be opened in the default application (typically a web browser)
Media players, Audio-video editors
- Garage Band : √👍
- QuickTime Player: √👍
- ScreenFlow: √👍
- Spotify: √👍 (capture a link to the track which is current playing (rather than simply selected in the user interface)).
macOS Utilities (misc)
Reference management software
- Bookends: √👍 The recommended reference manager for Mac users.
Copy Linkcurrently returns bookends:// URLs.
hook://file/If you open the PDF in a different app: refer to that app. Normally that’s a
- Papers 3 (Readcube, formerly Mekentosj): √👍 (uses hook://file links which means even if you stop using Papers, your links will work. It works with PDFs that remain on file system.)
- Zotero: √👍 (As of v. 124 of integration. However see this forum post for recent issues and a possible fix.)
Papers 2020 by Digital Science & Research Solutions: ✋ (Lacks features of the prior version such as automation. Not recommended) If their SaaS provides a unique URL for each reference, that should work.
- Mendeley: ✋ (lacks automation API)
- MoneyDance by The Infinite Kind: √👍
- Accordance: √🤔
- Daylite by Money Circle : √🤔 .
Hook can be used to link any web page to any other resource!
What to do if your favorite app is not listed above as 👍
If your favorite app is not yet linkable, in many cases it is possible for us or Hook users to add scripts in Hook’s Scripts preferences to make the app linkable. But if the app is not currently sufficiently scriptable, you may wish to contact the app’s developer, as described here, to request they make their app scriptable (or support the appropriate x-callback-url’s.)
Many apps are discussed on the Hook productivity forum.
Language and internationalization
The Hook display language is currently only English. Unless otherwise noted, apps marked as 🤔 (UI-scripted) cannot yet be controlled by Hook if the macOS display language is not English.
If your macOS language is not listed for your favorite apps and you’d like support let us know.
Definitions and caveats
We are not responsible for third party app developers (including Apple) ceasing to support their software or changing them in ways that make them less helpful for their customers and ours. If an app provides a URL or automated ID, by definition the URL should remain usable. That’s the whole point of a URL or ID.
The definition of “compatibility” is different for certain applications. For instance, apps like browsers are read-only, so they don’t require a “scripting interface” for creating new objects. News readers and some information managers work differently. News readers return an address (http//: or https://). When accessing web addresses, typically macOS invokes a web browser.