Hookmark’s context sensitive window enables you to get more out of all your favorite linkable apps. Whether you are in Finder, Mail, Safari, Apple Notes, Photos, DEVONthink, or any other link-friendly app, just invoke Hookmark’s popup window to copy links to the current item, or act on it in the following new and powerful ways.
- Copy and open links to information in any linkable app!
- Adaptive links to files!
- Deep PDF links to specific locations in a PDF file, and more
- More New Forms of Linking
- Effortless bookmarking
- Integrates with other bookmarking software
- Sharing the Previously Unshareable
- Markdown Innovation
- Multi-mac and Portability
- More Features
- Hookmark even works with Information Managers, Search Tools and Launchers
- Open, no lock-in
- In Sum
Copy and open links to information in any linkable app!
- Copy Links to almost anything from any linkable app. Instantly copy well-formatted links not only to web pages, but also to files, emails, tasks, notes, Apple Photos, and many other types of data in your favorite apps. Paste these links in your TODO-lists, notes, emails or anywhere else!
- Hook items together. After you’ve copied a link, you can bidirectionally link (aka ‘hook’) the copied link to the current item using
Hook to Copied Link(⌘V, because it also ‘pastes’ in Hook window).
- Open hooked links. Hookmark’s context-sensitive window shows you a list of all the items that you have ‘hooked’ (bidirectionally linked) to the item that is in the foreground of the current app. Hit ‘Return’ on a link, or double-click it, to open the linked item.
- Navigate hooks. Recursively navigate the network of items that are hooked to the current item, with arrow keys or by clicking. This means Hookmark is also a link browser!
- Hook current item to a new one. The amazing
Hook to Newcommand instantly creates a new item in the app of your choice, names it, stores it, optionally tags it, and ‘hooks’ it to the current item. Great for taking bidirectionally linked (‘hooked’) notes about a web page, video, PDF, or any other important resource.
- Reveal current file in Finder. How many times have you wanted to quickly see where the current file is stored on Finder? Whether you are using TextEdit or any other link-friendly app, just invoke Hookmark and
Reveal File in Finder(⌘R). It feels so good to instantly see a file in context, without searching!
Adaptive links to files!
- Unlike regular file links (which are so brittle hardly anyone uses them locally), Hookmark’s links to files on the Finder are adaptive! Copy a link to a file with Hookmark (yes, you can do that!), move or rename the linked file, and Hookmark’s adaptive file-link engine will ensure the link still works.
- Hookmark’s adaptive file-links also work with files from cloud storage — such as iCloud, Dropbox and Sync — that you have locally synced to your Finder! If you or your colleagues move those files in the cloud, Hookmark’s adaptive file-link engine will endeavor to track them!
- Developers take note! Hookmark’s adaptive file-links also work with files that you’ve checked out from version control systems (like Git and Subversion) to your Finder. If you locally delete the repository, then check it out (even to a different location), Hookmark’s adaptive file-link engine will endeavor to track them using heuristics that make Hookmark smart.
- Finder aliases are just not good enough! Create a
.hookfile for any file or folder. When you double-click on the
.hookfile, Hookmark will open the current linkable item, regardless of its type (web page, file, email, task, etc.) They’re plain, editable text, and resolved with Hookmark’s adaptive file-link engine😊. 
Deep PDF links to specific locations in a PDF file, and more
- When you select text in a URL-friendly PDF app and use Hookmark’s
Copy Markdown Linkcommand, Hookmark creates a deep link to the selection in the PDF! Click on the link, and Hookmark will take you back to the selection. Super handy for researchers, lawyers, writers and others who work deeply with PDF files.
- Hookmark’s deep PDF links are also robust.
- Hookmark’s deep PDF links can be shared.
- Hookmark can even create deep links to specific locations in a Quicktime video.
More New Forms of Linking
- Drag and drop linking. You can also drag files onto Hook’s menu bar icon to hook them together (bidirectionally link them) in one or two drops.
hook://searchlinks. When you use them, Hookmark will trigger a Spotlight® search based on the link’s parameters.
Hookmark is the world’s first truly universal automatic bookmarking app.
- Truly universal: you can bookmark not only web pages (across browsers), but items in any compatible app (files in Finder, emails, tasks, notes, etc.)
- Effortless: (a) Whenever you use
Copy Markdown LinkHookmark will automatically add a bookmark. (b) When you hook items together, Hookmark will add one bookmark for each side of the ‘hook’ (if they do not already exist).
- You can also manually add bookmarks (⌘D).
- You can search your Hookmark bookmarks. Just type
⌘Fin the Hookmark window!
Having interacted with a resource with Hookmark is perhaps the most highly discriminative indicator of relevance ever invented. Try it, and you’ll be amazed!
Integrates with other bookmarking software
Hookmark integrates with Pinboard, GoodLinks and Instapaper. Automatically add bookmarks to these services. Also applies tags to bookmarks in Pinboard and GoodLinks. This requires Pinboard, GoodLinks and/or Instapaper.
Sharing the Previously Unshareable
Whether you use Hookmark’s built in “share sheet”, or its universal
Copy Link command, you can share links to information that you previously couldn’t:
- Share links to emails! As long as the recipient has a copy of the email in a linkable app and Hookmark, when they click on the link, the email will open on their computer! This immediately puts you both in the same context, and gives them instant gratification.
- Share links to files. Share copied file links (hook://file/…) that reveal the linked files in the recipient Mac’s Finder! Whether the file is in a synced or version controlled (e.g., Git) folder, or other location, if the file is indexed by Spotlight on their Mac, Hookmark can reveal it. No more long descriptions of where a file can be found!
- Share “search links”.
hook://searchlinks, mentioned above, can also be shared. Help your family, friends and colleagues find the information they need by sending them search links. When they click on the search link, Hookmark will trigger a Spotlight search based on the link.
Copy Markdown Link. Instantly create a well-formed Markdown link with title and URL pointing to the current item, whether it is a web page, file, email, task, or any other linkable item. Paste them wherever you use Markdown.
- Embed links to anything in your Markdown documents. Hookmark extends the reach of your Markdown documents. With the
hook://filescheme, you can embed links to files without having to worry about what happens to your links should you move the files! And you can embed links to all kinds of objects. Great for taking notes, writing todo lists, and editing documents in Markdown.
.hookfiles can contain Markdown links. Quickly paste a Markdown link into a
.hookfile. Next time you double-click on the file, Hookmark will open its target.
- Automate your workflows with Hookmark’s Apple Shortcuts actions, such as
Get Bookmark From Active Window,
Focus On Bookmark,
Hook Bookmarks Together,
Unhook Bookmarks, and
Get Bookmarks Hooked To URL. See Hookmark’s Shortcuts Actions.
- Control Hookmark with AppleScript. You can programmatically access Hookmark bookmarks, see what is linked to a particular item, add Hookmark bookmarks and hook them together (Hook 1.6), and more. Use LaunchBar actions, Alfred workflows, Keyboard Maestro or other software.
- Customize how Hookmark integrates with your favorite apps. You can customize how Hookmark controls apps, and add new integration scripts for other apps.
- Update Hookmark integration without re-launching Hookmark. Hookmark can automatically update its software-integration scripts without even relaunching Hookmark.
Multi-mac and Portability
- Sync with your favorite technology. Use Hookmark across different Macs. Automatically Sync your links between Macs using any underlying medium you choose: iCloud, Dropbox, Google Drive, even a floppy drive.
- Import/export. Export your links in human-readable format. Import them on the same Mac or a different Mac. The ‘import’ replaces the current links database.
- View Recent bookmarks of any app in one place!
- Hotkeys. Keep your hands on the keyboard using familiar keyboard shortcuts.
- Configurable global keyboard shortcuts for several commands.
- Private. Hookmark data is not sent to us or synced to our servers. You can sync it with the technology of your choice (iCloud, Dropbox, etc.)
- Customize how new items are created by Hookmark. Choose where items created by Hookmark’s
Link to Newcommand are stored, the default template for new files, and the prefix and/or suffix of new files. Get more information.
- Tagging linked files. Hookmark can automatically apply a Finder tag to any file you hook to something else. So, you can use Spotlight to find all the files you’ve linked with Hookmark.
- Unobtrusive popup window. Like the Spotlight search window, Hookmark appears when you call it up (⇧⌘SPACE or another method). It is compact. And it disappears automatically when you’re done.
- Quick Look hooked items (⌘Y or use the
Hookmark even works with Information Managers, Search Tools and Launchers
One of our major design objectives is for Hookmark to help you get more out of all your favorite apps. Hookmark works not only with special purpose apps (that deal with one or few file or object types), but:
- Hookmark also works with personal information managers like DEVONthink, EagleFiler, Keep It, Yojimbo and Evernote. For instance you can use the universal
Copy Linkfunction to link items in a personal information manager to an item inside or outside the information manager. You can use
Link to Newto create and hook items in your personal information manager to other items.
- Hookmark even works with utilities and search tools, like HoudahSpot.
- Hookmark can be invoked from launchers. You can also access Hookmark’s automation from launchers (as noted above). You can even use LaunchBar’s “Send To” and many other features with Hookmark.
Open, no lock-in
CogSci Apps not only are committed to interoperability, we champion it. It is in our DNA. The very purpose of Hookmark is to help you access and connect documents and data from all your favorite apps. That requires inter-app communication. Learn more.
Hookmark is an innovative, well-rounded product created by Mac enthusiasts who have been doing R&D on cognitive productivity software and linking for nearly 20 years. Its universal
Copy Link and other features enable you to reference and immediately navigate information that matters to you. This means you can often skip searching and get the full benefits of links. You know links are great for navigating the web. Now you and your network (friends, colleagues, etc.) can use them to access the information that matters most to you.
Our product road map will keep pleasantly surprising you with new features.
*: Pro feature. For a breakdown of Pro vs. Standard features, see the Buy page.
.hook files are like Finder aliases and .webloc files except they are written in plain editable text, they are more robust (when they contain
hook://file links), and they can point to any valid address (“URI”): to a web page, file, email, task, etc. Use
Make Hookmark File
* or create your own.
2. Like Finder aliases, Hookmark file links (
hook://file/) have limits; but they are generally more robust than aliases and web links. You can even unmount, modify, and remount the folders in which the target files reside (e.g., shares, version control systems (Git, SVN, etc.), and volumes (DMGs, external drives, etc.) And of course, unlike aliases, they involve a URI (
hook://file/), so you can embed the URI or link (name + URI) in any document or editable field, or use them in
Hook to Copied Link. See Make Hookmark File for a description of Hookmark files and Copy Link for a description of Hookmark’s file and email addressing schemes.
3. For example, if you want a link that searches for “built-in templates” you could copy “built-in templates” and then use Hookmark’s convenient
Copy a Search Link from Clipboard, which yields
hook://search/?q=built-in%20templates. You can design complex Spotlight queries with its keyword syntax. (e.g., from
name:built-in name:templates you get
hook://search/?q=name%3Abuilt-in%20name%3Atemplates). Paste the links anywhere. Search links can find anything indexed by Spotlight.
Download a free trial and see for yourself.