CogSci Apps Corp. is committed to the interoperability of Hook, that your investment in Hook will last forever, and that you are not locked into a proprietary solution.
We not only are committed to interoperability, we champion it. The very essence of Hook is to help you access and connect documents and data from all your favorite apps. That requires inter-app communication.
Thus we have worked hard to ensure you can always make use of your investment in Hook, get your data out of Hook, and even extend Hook.
- Hook’s key feature is
Copy Link. This command returns a link whose URL, whenever optimal, is the one served by the app in which it is called. That means you don’t need Hook to use those URLs. For example, if you use Hook’s
Copy Linkin a browser, you will get a http(s):// URL (or whatever the browser provides); if you use it in OmniFocus, you get an OmniFocus:// URL, in DEVONthink,a DEVONthink:// URL.
- URLs returned by
Copy Linkare only in a
hook://scheme (format) when it provides sufficient value to do so. For instance, a
hook://fileURL is returned for files, which have many substantial advantages over
hook://URLs can be converted to other formats via automation.
- Hook enables you to export your link data in a transparent XML format.
- Hook Pro has an integration script editor. These scripts control how Hook interacts with other apps. That means you can inspect how Hook interacts with the vast majority of apps. You can even edit those scripts and add new scripts.
- Hook is based an open architecture. There is an active community of savvy users and developers who help Hook work with various apps.
- Hook’s database can be inspected and accessed. It resides in the standard location (
.hookfiles are plain-text editable files (more general than aliases and .webloc files). This makes them very easy to convert via automation. One could convert all .hook files containing hook://file links to aliases, and all .hook files pointing to web resources to .webloc files.
- Hook Essentials and Hook Pro are available for a one-time fee. Users can continue using it indefinitely, with one year of free updates. Annual Updates licenses can then be purchased to extend app updates for a year at a substantially discount from the initial license.
- Hook Lite is free. You can consume links with it (and make
hook://emaillinks too). This means that if you want to stop adding links, you can still freely consume your prior links (and links from others). See buy page for terms.