You can get data in and out of Hookmark thanks to its AppleScript dictionary. You can get a list of all the bookmarks created by Hookmark. For any bookmark, you can get all the bookmarks hooked (linked) to it. You can also automatically invoke Hookmark on a particular file bookmark. There are some other functions.
That means that you can control Hookmark with launchers (such as Alfred and LaunchBar), Keyboard Maestro, or other scripts and programs.
Hookmark 3.8 introduces shortcuts automation. We will share some extra shortcuts here. We expect many users to publish shortcuts to the world.
LaunchBar, Alfred & Trickster
- Free LaunchBar Actions for Controlling Hookmark. That page links to a blog post with a screencast.
- Alfred workflows. There’s an associated blog post.
- The Trickster App by Apparent Software Now Shows You Which Files Have Hooks: Click Its New Hookmark Icon to Invoke Hookmark, or Use a Shortcut.
Brett Terpstra has created a great command line interface to control Hookmark. Check it out.
Hookmark users, including CogSci Apps, sometimes share their scripts in the Hookmark scripts topics of the Hookmark Forum.
AppleScript to work with multiple files selected in Finder
If you have selected multiple files in Finder and want to hook them to the clipboard or to each other, check out Brett Terpstra’s GitHub – ttscoff/hook_goodies page. It contains:
- Hook To Clipboard: Creates hook link between the link in your clipboard and each of the selected files. The Service version of this can be triggered as a Finder Extra or via right click menu. The AppleScript version can be used in any kind of automation (Keyboard Maestro, BetterTouchTool, etc.)
- Mesh Hook: Creates hooks (bi-directional links) between all of the selected files. In other words, this mesh links all of the selected files together!
The AppleScript is written to work on a Finder selection, but could easily be modified to accept files from any automation that could pass them.
- Scripts to Apply & Sync a DEVONthink “Hook” tag — and More DEVONthink Goodies.
- Zsolt Benke has written a script to Archive Hookmark bookmarks with DEVONthink.
Given Hookmark’s API, you can find other Hookmark-related scripts on the web.
Similarly, please consider sharing your Hookmark automation scripts on the Hookmark forum or wherever else there are interested readers, like Zsolt Benke, Brett Terpstra and others have.