- Please check whether your annual Updates License has expired before updating. See below.
- Hook 3.0, and of course 3.1, are compiled for M1 (Apple Silicon), which fixed odd permission-related problems that some M1 users experienced. (Demonstrating Rosetta 2 is not perfect.)
- We highly encourage users to consider using the
Hook to Newfeature. You can Hook to a new > single item (object or file), or to an entire folder. It is a unique and remarkably useful and powerful feature.
- NEW: after typing a search string, the status bar now provides a tip for keyboarders: “To select a result, press the Tab key then ↓ key.”
- NEW: If a new version of Hook is launched that has new or updated templates, Hook will now ask you whether you’d like to update your “built-in templates” folder.
- NEW: If Hook detects that your templates are out of date, its Preferences > Notes pane will say so. You can dismiss the notice.
- CHANGED: The
Hide Hook window automaticallyGeneral Preference is now enabled by default and for first time upgraders. This tweaks a change introduced in Hook 3.0. In the future, we may add a wizard for first-time users giving the ability to configure this and related settings that are (relatively) specific to Hook.
- CHANGED: Replaced the built-in MindNode template. Users with a recent version of MindNode may wish to store a newer custom template in their Custom Templates folder.
- CHANGED: If Pinboard integration is disabled,
Reveal Page in Pinboardis now hidden.
- FIXED: Disabling Pinboard service from Hook’s Services Preferences pane now causes its status “light” to go non-green.
- FIXED a possible crash.
- Fixed some typos in the UI.
- FIXED an issue that interfered with Hook’s context window in some Adobe Acrobat installations. Please note that not all versions of Adobe support deep PDF linking. For optimal integration with Acrobat, use Big Sur and the latest Adobe software.
- NB Hook already supports Eclipse IDE (not previously mentioned in our documentation). If software with which you use Hook is not listed on our linkable apps page, please let us know. Many apps work “out of the box” with Hook given its default integration framework.
- If you are not seeing the new built-in templates, you can click the “Restore built-in templates” button on Hook’s Preferences > Notes tab.
- The following document illustrates the
Hook to New> folder feature, and some of Hook’s other built-in templates: Using Hook & OmniOutliner as a Contact Management System: Link a Contact to Meeting Minutes & More
- TODOist users may be interested in how Hook Enables You to Connect Todoist to your Work and Life by Rochelle Broder-Singer.
- We have been updating our documentation and producing new videos for Hook, with thanks to Jay Miller and Lee Garrett.
Eligibility for updates
Hook software updates are free to any Hook customer with a valid Hook Updates license. Hook Pro and Hook Essentials each come with one year of free access to updates.
If your Hook Updates license has expired and you apply this update, please note that Hook will revert to Lite mode until you purchase a license. (Hook will later have a built-in warning as part of its in-app update.) However, you can then
a. apply a valid Updates license, which will give you access to the full Essentials or Pro functionality; or
b. revert to a previous version of Hook that was released during your Updates License period.
Please consider spreading the news about Hook to your colleagues, staff, students, etc. Email, social media, etc. all good.