Hook 3.0 and Hook 3.1 have been released (May 3rd & 13th).
Major changes in Hook 3.0 include, enhanced
Hook to New, Pinboard integration, compiled universally for M1 & Intel.
Hook to New significantly enhanced
First a Tip 💡 : If you have not been using
Hook to New, you’ve been missing out. 3 forms of
Hook to New are:
Hook to New(ballistic: uses your default template),
Hook to New...(semi-ballistic: choose your app or template),
Hook to New As...(choose your app or template, and name/location of replicate).
- You can have multiple templates with the same file extension (e.g., several .rtf or .md templates).
- You can instantly create and hook entire folders.
- There are now non-empty templates, which are useful in themselves and also illustrate the use of templates: a template folder to streamline creating documents, screencasts, etc.; two for contact management (text and OmniOutliner); and one for systematically taking notes. Check out our help pages and blog, including screencasts.
Let us know how you’re using
Hook to New and how you would like the feature to evolve. (We have some ideas 😉 ).
Hook now integrates with Pinboard bookmarking SaaS !
💡: The problem with traditional bookmarking software is that users must do the bookmarking themselves. That is effortful, distracting and easy to forget. We @ CogSci Apps discovered the clearest signal of future information relevance: that you copied a link to it! Hook is already an automatic bookmarking system. Type ⌘F in Hook for instant gratification.
Hook is meant to help you get the most out of all your software, including other bookmarking solutions. So Hook now integrates with the Pinboard bookmarking service software.
New in Hook 3.0, Hook Pro enables you to automatically add and tag bookmarks in Pinboard !
That means that your Hook web bookmarks will be available on all platforms via Pinboard web interface or your other Pinboard apps. Pinboard provides tagging and full text search. So this provides yet another way for you to access Hook information on Mac, iPhone and iPad.
- Hook can automatically add a private Pinboard bookmark and tag web pages;
- you can instantly reveal the Pinboard page for a web page, so you can view and edit the title, notes and tags of the corresponding Pinboard entry (⌘R, ⇧⌘R);
- on Pinboard, you can search for all web bookmarks you’ve added or edited with Hook 3.0 or later (if enabled, they have the tag
Hook immediately works across linkable browsers without you needing to add or configure any plugin, extension or bookmarklet!
Of course, this requires a Pinboard account (from the Pinboard service provider).
For detailed information, see Using Hook with the Pinboard Bookmarking Service – Hook.
Not a Pinboard user?
No problem 😊 . Just let us know with what bookmarking software you want to use Hook. Is it Instapaper? Goodlinks? Raindrop? Something else? Vote here.
New: Hook is compiled universally (Apple Silicon & Intel), which bypasses weird permissions problems Apple introduced with running apps in Rosetta 2 on M1.
Many other updates in 3.0 and 3.1
There are also several integration updates including:
- Hook now also enables deep PDF linking in Adobe Reader and Acrobat. (Remember, Hook’s file links, including PDF links, are shareable 😉 . You can send others a PDF link that will identify the relevant PDF file on their Mac, and autoscroll to a sentence so they know exactly what you are referring to. Saves them time; and they they will love ❤️ you for it.)
- You can
Hook to a New >Craft document.
- Updated Obsidian support, and for several other apps.
- Using Hook & OmniOutliner to Optimize Meetings and Contact Management Problems.
- Hook Enables You to Connect Todoist to your Work and Life by Rochelle Broder-Singer.
- Jay Miller has created screencasts on some of the features that are new in Hook 3.0. Checkout Hook’s video page and his YouTube channel.
- And more…
Prior release notes
Thanks to everyone who made suggestions for Hook 3.0. Special thanks to Hook user, @StevelLW, who often participates on Hook’s forum, for providing some very helpful input in the development of
Hook to New, influencing Hook 3.0 and its product road map!