This document lists some of the apps whose items can be linked. The data are the result of our testing and/or Hook customers.
- √👍 : The app has reliable automation for linking and that Hook can link it (either out of the box, or with its built in scripts). It uses the app’s API’s (application programming interface, API). Those apps are preferred for linking. They work regardless of the language of the app.
- √🤔 : The app does not have an adequate (or any) API for linking. However, Hook can currently control it via “UI scripting” (user interface scripting). That is not as reliable as an API. Specific customizations are required for every language the app supports.
- ✋ : The app cannot currently be linked due to its lack of an API or its user interface.
See definitions below.
There are likely many other apps that work out of the box with Hook that are not mentioned here. We frequently discover new ones. If you know your favorite app works but is not listed here, we would appreciate it if you would let us know via the Hook productivity forum or email (email@example.com).
We update this document regularly. Many other apps are likely compatible but have not yet been tested by us.
- Brave: √👍
- Chrome: √👍
- Firefox: √🤔 (Currently, in English only)
- Opera: √👍
- Safari: √👍
- Scrivener: √ (Hook contextual window links are to the entire book).
- AirMail: √👍
- Mail: √👍
- MailMate: √👍
- Outlook: √👍 (However, hook://outlook email links are not shareable due to limitations of Outlook ).
- Postbox: √
Spark ✋: No (this email client by Readdle lacks automation)
- Slack: links to/from current Slack or DM channel per forum.
Other office apps (spreadsheets, presentations)
- Calendar: √ Partial (“Hook to New> Calendar” is not available)
- Contacts: √👍
- JeditΩ : √👍 per forum.
- Keynote: √👍
- LibreOffice: √👍
- Mellel: √
- Microsoft Excel: √👍
- Microsoft Powerpoint: √👍
- Nisus Writer and Nisus Writer Pro √👍: (forum): √
Agenda app: √🤔
- BusyCal: √🤔 (Currently, in English only)
- BusyContacts: √🤔 (Currently, in English only)
- Fantastical (Calendar app): √🤔 (Hook can link to dates but not events.)
Integration with Microsoft Office requires Office 2016.
- Adobe Reader: √👍
- Highlights: √👍
- PDFPen Pro: √👍
- Preview : √👍
- Skim: √👍
PDF Expert: ~ it lacks automation, however you can try this script.
MarginNote 3: √🤔
Books app: ✋ not yet
- Kindle: ✋ not yet.
- OmniFocus: √👍
- Things: √👍
TaskPaper 3: √ (Linking to entire documents, as opposed to task filters; however see this topic discussing a user-contributed script for finer-grained linking)
- OmniOutliner Pro: √
- Outlinely: √
Finder utilities, extensions and cloud storage
- Dropbox (Finder extension): √👍 (Consider these Dropbox idiosyncracies).
- Finder: √👍
- HoudahSpot 5: √👍
- Path Finder: √👍
Trickster: √👍 (per forum).
Forklift: √🤔 (Currently, in English only)
OneDrive: Mostly (minus a current issue with Microsoft Word)
- EagleFiler by C-Command-Software : √👍 (See Using Hook with EagleFiler)
- Evernote: √👍
- DEVONthink 2 Office Pro: √👍 (with these customizations for Pro users).
- DEVONthink 3: √👍 (See this webpage).
- Keep It (by Reinvented Software): √👍
- Yojimbo: √👍
Graphic editors, graphic organizers and mind mapping
- Adobe Illustrator: √👍 (AI 2020 version may require hiding palettes)
iThoughts X: √
- MindNode: √👍 (to entire documents)
- OmniGraffle Pro: √👍
- OmniGraffle: √👍
- Photoshop: √👍
- Sketch: √👍
InDesign: √ with single document. Its book documents and library are not yet compatible with Hook.
Development and automation tools
- Base 2 (by Menial) : √👍
- DB Browser for SQLite: √👍
- Ninox Database: √ (per input from a customer).
- Quiver: √ (a note-taking app for developers).
- Script Debugger: √👍
- Visual Code Studio: √👍
- Xcode: √👍
Word processors, text editors, note-taking apps and writing utilities
Camtasia 3: √👍
- Coda 2: √👍
- CodeRunner: √👍
iTextPro: √👍 (per forum post)
- MacVim: √👍
- MacJournal: √👍
- Marked2: √👍
- MultiMarkdown Composer: √👍
- Notebooks 2: √👍 (Not integated with the menu bar window).
- Microsoft Word: √👍
- nvALT: √👍 (Currently, in English only; without “Hook to New”)
- nvUltra: √👍
- Pages: √👍
- Sublime Text: √👍
- TextEdit: √👍
- Textastic : √👍
- TextMate: √👍
- Tinderbox by Eastgate software: √👍
- Typora: √👍
- UltraEdit: √👍
- VNote: √👍
Bear: √🤔 (Currently, in English only)
- Drafts: √🤔 (per Forum post).
- FSNotes: √🤔 (Currently, in English only)
- The Archive: √🤔
- SimpleNote: ✋ (has no AppleScript library nor x-callback-url)
Apple Notes app
As of Hook 1.5, Apple Notes is not supported due to issues with Apple Notes.
- ReadKit: √ (Currently, in English only)
- Reeder: No (lacks automation)
Newsreaders are not designed to open URLs. The reciprocal http(s) link back to the copied address will be opened in the default application (typically a web browser)
Media players, Audio-video editors
- QuickTime Player: √
- ScreenFlow: √
- Spotify: √ (capture a link to the track which is current playing (rather than simply selected in the user interface)).
Reference management software
- Bookends: √
- Mendeley: No (lacks automation)
- Zotero: (no scripting interface. Also, they’ve turned down requests to add Applescript support while they rewrite Zotero for the next version. It might be possible with a plugin, however).
- Papers 3 (Readcube, formerly Mekentosj): √ (uses hook://file links; works with PDFs that remain on file system)
- Papers 2020 (lacks automation; not recommended): No.
- Mathematica: √
macOS Utilities (misc)
- MoneyDance: √.
- Deliveries for Mac ~ Mac ~ Junecloud. Per Forum: √ (Currently, in English only)
Hook can be used to link any web page to any other resource!
Currently unlikable apps
If your favorite app is not yet linkable, here is what you can do. In sum, in many cases it is possible for us or Hook users to add scripts in Hook’s Scripts preferences to make the app linkable. But if the app is not sufficiently scriptable, you may wish to contact the developer, as described here, to request they make their app scriptable (or support the appropriate x-callback-url’s.)
Many apps are discussed on the Hook productivity forum.
Language and Internationalization
The Hook display language is currently only English. Some apps cannot yet be controlled by Hook if the macOS display language is not English. We intend to support other languages.
The definition of “compatibility” is different for certain applications. For instance, apps like browsers are read-only, so they don’t require a “scripting interface” for creating new objects. News readers and some information managers work differently. News readers return an address (http//: or https://). When accessing web addresses, typically macOS invokes a web browser.